Jannik Sinner has revealed the choice to simply accept a three-month doping ban was taken shortly, regardless that he “didn’t agree completely”.
The Italian retained the Australian Open title in January of this yr. Then in February he accepted a three-month ban after reaching an settlement with the World Anti-Doping Company (WADA) following two constructive drug assessments in 2024.
“In the end, you have to choose the lesser evil and I believe that is what I have done. Even if sometimes it seems a bit unfair, all that I’m living, but then if I look at things from a different perspective it could have been worse. Even more unfairness. This is the way it is,” Sinner informed Sky Italy.
The ban may have elapsed in time for Sinner to play within the subsequent Grand Slam, the French Open in Might.
Sinner will probably be eligible to return for his house occasion, the Masters 1000 in Rome on Might 7.
“The decision to take the three-month suspension was rather quick. We accepted it quite quickly, even though I didn’t agree completely. There was a bit of back and forth with my lawyer and the people around me,” the Italian stated. “After we took this determination, it took me some time to seek out myself once more.
“However I’m nonetheless right here. There’s nonetheless a little bit of time to digest all this, however I am unable to wait to be again in Rome. It is a particular match for me, regardless that it would additionally very robust. I will be again in a second by which there will probably be already plenty of consideration on me, and in Rome it is not straightforward.
“But let’s say I am living every day in a calm manner.”
Sinner had examined constructive in March 2024 for the anabolic steroid clostebol, earlier than being cleared in August by an impartial tribunal who decided he was to not blame.
WADA, which beforehand stated it was in search of a ban of between one and two years for Sinner, appealed towards that call to the Courtroom of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in September and a subsequent listening to had been set for April 16 and 17.
Within the settlement reached in February, Sinner accepted a ban of simply three months however insisted the choice nonetheless affected him.
“I was very fragile after what happened,” he stated. “I would tell a lie if I said I was person without feelings or emotions. In life you learn, every year I learn more about myself, also about my value. It was not easy, very hard at times, but the people around me gave me the strength to understand what had happened.”
He stays uncertain how different gamers on the tour will react to his return.
“I can’t answer this question as I don’t know what could happen,” he stated. “I know how things went, I know I am innocent.
“I’m calm as a result of in the long run I do know that what I need to do is to play tennis and be serene. That is the tip of the story. So, I’m positive all will go effectively, even when in the beginning it would take some time to begin over. These are questions I do not know how one can reply.”
He is still counting down the time to his return to competitive tennis.
“Why? As a result of I finished doing what I all the time dreamed of doing. I’m in the very best place to play this sport,” he said.
“Originally I counted the times, however now day-after-day that goes by, because the time will get nearer, I really feel higher bodily and mentally.
“Even if there is still time, it is a good opportunity for me to improve in those areas in which I had difficulties, on a surface on which I struggle. So, let’s try to do something different. Hopefully it works otherwise we will have more time to try again.”