The Book of Boba Fett is struggling to connect with audiences in the same way pretty much of all Disney Plus’s other major productions have been able to since the streaming service’s inception. Across two seasons of The Mandalorian, and five major Marvel shows, The Book of Boba Fett is getting the lowest audience reviews by quite a wide margin, as shown via Rotten Tomatoes.
While The Book of Boba Fett’s 90% critic score is pretty good, that’s an average of only six scored reviews total. But with 1,00 audience reviews in, here’s where it stands:
- What If…? – 95%
- The Mandalorian Season 1 – 92%
- Hawkeye – 92%
- Loki – 91%
- The Mandalorian Season 2 – 90%
- WandaVision – 88%
- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier – 85%
- The Book of Boba Fett – 65%
As you can see, The Book of Boba Fett is not just last, it’s last by being 20% lower than the former last place, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.
So, what’s going on here? Fans have come up with a few different complaints over the course of the first three episodes:
- Boba Fett seems a lot…kinder than many were expecting, and he’s spared the life of a whole bunch of enemies and would-be assassins in the first few episodes here.
- Boba Fett has his helmet off and is talking a lot, so much so that even star Temeura Morrison has said in interviews he thinks Fett talks too much and needs to stay “mysterious.”
- Some don’t like the action choreography, particularly in the Robert Rodriguez-directed episodes 1 and 3, which featured an awkward street fight scene and an awkward car chase, accordingly.
- In episode 3, there were a lot of complaints about the “Mod” aesthetic of the youth gang, and debates about whether or not it felt right on Tatooine, regardless of whether or not George Lucas did in fact love colorful hot rods.
- Overall, there’s just sort of a general sense of “why does this show need to exist when we already have The Mandalorian?” And many fans feel like The Mandalorian was already kind of the Boba Fett show they wanted to see, while the actual Boba Fett show feels like it’s starring a new character entirely.
MORE FOR YOU
There are only seven total episodes in the series, so four more to go. It’s not clear whether this is meant to be something that extends into a second season, or be a one-off. With this kind of reception, it’s possible it may be the latter, and simply make way for other shows that are on the way like Obi-Wan and Ahsoka. But so far, it’s only working part of the time, and that may not be enough.